- To leverage 25 years of computer experience, 14 on Linux, in a Linux/FOSS development or system administration position. This resume is a few years out of date.
- Second generation software engineer, starting with BASIC on a C64 and 300 baud modem, to Assembly and C on DOS, to C and beyond on Linux. Most at home on the command line. Founded top 1000 website earning $1,000,000 in ad space sales, raising $2,200,000 in venture capital with a peak market capitalization of $40,000,000. I'm very interested in learning more python.
- Core Platforms: Slackware Linux, Debian/Ubuntu Linux, Red Hat Linux
- Programming Languages, in order of proficiency: bash scripting with GNU utils, regex, awk, C, POSIX, linux system API, C++, sed, C++ STL, Java, python, x86 Assembly, OAuth TCL, XML, HTML, BASIC, swing, Android (Java), SQL, MySql, SQLite, PHP, YAML, JSON
- Networking, in order of proficiency: traffic analysis, TCP, IP, UDP, FTP, DNS, bind, HTTP, IRC, ICMP, CGI, NPH, openwrt, firewalling, iptables, tc (IP QoS/DSCP), bridging (STP), routing, Apache, NFS, load balancing, SMTP, IP multicast, ipchains, BGP, bitcoin
- Tools: vim, make, sox (Sound eXchange, the Swiss Army knife of audio manipulation).
- Data manipulation: analyzing, aggregating, or converting, large sets of data via a combination of scripts, available GNU utilities, and custom code, using buffered and paralell stream processing methods with linux specific optimizations for high speed or low latency.
- Comfortable in system administration and development.
- Middleware, backend, task automation.
- Algorithm design, development and optimization.
- Peer to peer ("p2p") networking and design.
- Software durability testing.
- Moderate Experience: DSP (Digital Signal Processing, particularly audio), Securities trading (stocks,bonds,futures,options), Analog electrical engineering low frequency (0-20kHZ), Personal income tax preparation and planning, Live sound reinforcement, Economics, Linux software raid (md), Amazon EC2, JIRA, git
- Tax lot accounting.
OthNet Inc. (ONET) - Vice President, Founder, Lead Developer
OthNet Inc.'s mission was to create an innovative method for content providers to distribute their work via a low cost peer to peer ("p2p") streaming distribution system.
- Interviewing, hiring, and managing 3 full time developers.
- Configuring and admistering colocated Redhat Linux web/mail server.
- Leading development of server and client software.
- Analyzing web traffic.
- Invented, developed, and applied for patent for networking portion of peer to peer application in C++ (MFC).
- Developed and executed company mission.
- Devised and implemented Digital Rights Management (DRM) controls.
- Exhibited project at Peer to Peer networking conference.
Oth.Net - Founder
A multimedia web search engine.
- Administering and maintaining colocated web/mail server.
- Handling user feedback for user focused design.
- Maintaining a search engine with exponential growth over 2 years to 1,000,000 substring searches per day of 2,000,000 links, in C, on 1999 hardware. Sample code: indexed substring search and generate substring index
- Planning for IPO potential.
- Marketing advertising space.
- Hiring and managing support representative.
- Took public as OthNet Inc. (ONET).
- Grew business to 100,000 daily users in under 2 years, with net revenues reaching $50,000/month.
- Mentioned in The Wall Street Journal page B1, center article, June 15, 1999.
- Mentioned in several books, "Oth.Net's search engine is minimalist yet fast and accurate" -- "MP3! Second Edition" page 65, ISBN 2000 ISBN 0782127916
- Developed a web "spider" using regular expressions, AWK, and C. (code sample - link validator)
- Developed banner advertisement tracking and optimization software in C. (code sample)
DNA/genome analysis for microarray probe design and genome classification
High speed DNA/genome statistical analysis software (n-mer counting code) to generate genomic signatures for gene identification, probe selection, and classification for oligo microarray probes (DNA chips) for Dr Gail Rosen at Drexel.edu using C, C++, and bash scripting.
- Devised and developed a method optimized for the specific hardware and software available using various methods, as efficient use of computational power is key in this field.
- Mentioned in ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS published here.
- "we pay people like you (I would consider you a postdoc) at $65K/year." -- Gail L Rosen Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology, 2007
- Benchmarks: on an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz 4GB RAM, full human (3 billion base pairs, both sides) nmer length/minutes: 2-10 2m, 11 5m, 12 7m, 13 7m, 14 8m, 15 14m, 20 4h, 25 5h, 50 6h, 100 10h, 200 15h.
P2Pusa.com in Java
Peer to peer Multimedia distribution and delivery network
- Configuring and administering colocated server.
- Assessing the capabilities of end user platforms and adapting to them.
- Managing one developer.
- Overseeing usability of web site.
- Distributed computational load across multiple servers.
- Designed and developed order processing system.
- Designed and developed content provider payment system.
- Designed and developed reliable upload/download utility in Java.
- Designed and developed Digital Rights Management (DRM) controls.
- Solved crisis where someone's /* was moved elsewhere on a colocated server, by sending a statically linked binary into a bash tcp socket to overwrite an already +x file in C and bash.
- Peer to peer (p2p) distributed video streaming, written in C, rewritten in C++, and rewritten in Java.
- Tax lot accounting software to process XML transaction data per IRS spec in AWK.
- Framework for backtesting securities trading strategies in C++.
- Todo list management and statistical analysis in bash and AWK.
- Routescan - just like mtr, which didn't exist when I wrote this. (sample output).
- Filesystem management tools to find identical files and hardlink them, find hardlinked files of different names, remove all locations of a file, find empty directories, sanatize names, count files in directories, etc in bash and AWK.
- Telnet with readline in C.
- XFS filesystem defragmenter in C, bash, and AWK.
- FFT based audio codec and effects in C.
- Metric and user feedback based automated forum moderation for freenode's Economics forum in AWK.
- Banner ad optimization, rotation, tracking, and billing system in C.
- Chess robot in C, attempted to break the Guiness record for most distributed chess robot.
- Relational database of recreational activities in AWK.
- Lead moderator of Freenode's economics forum 2006 to present, and bitcoin forum beginning in 2011, via a fully automated voting system I wrote in AWK.
- "Chris has, with great technical ingenuity and skill, moderated and managed an economics forum, making it grow from just 10-20 users to 50 users. He made innovative custom software that automated the process of identifying qualified members, granting them elevated access to moderate the forum by peer concensus." -- Klaus Kuhn, 2009, Hardware design engineer, M.Sc.E.Eng, Ph.D. Danelec Marine A/S Blokken 44 DK-3460 Birkerod Denmark +45 45 94 43 00, +45 45 94 43 05 (direct), +45 31 24 28 08 Mobile
www.danelec-marine.com (teralaser on freenode).
- Moderator of the business forum on EFnet.
- Wikipedia (27000 pages in browser history over the past 4 years).
- Sci-fi, xkcd, TED.com, go, chess, MUDs, movies, audio books (non fiction), logic puzzles.
- Listening to BBC World news, and Bloomberg radio at double speed
COMMANDS USED RECENTLY
- acpi acpi_listen alsa alsactl alsamixer amixer aoss aplay apropos apt-cache apt-get apt-key aptitude ar arp atop awk badblocks basename bc bitpim bunzip2 bzcat bzgrep bzip2 bzless cal cat cc ccat ccdecrypt ccencrypt ccrypt chgrp chmod chown clear cmp column convert cp crontab cut date dc dd deluser depmod df dh diff dir dircolors dirname dmesg dnsdomainname do-release-upgrade domainname dpkg dpkg-reconfigure du ed egrep emacs eog exportfs expr factor fallocate fdformat fdisk file filefrag filelight find finger firefox fold free ftp fuser g++ gawk gcc gconf-editor gdm gimp gksu gnochm gnome-wm grep grub gsynaptics gsynaptics-init gunzip gupnp-universal-cp gzip hcitool hdparm head hexdump host hostname id identify ifconfig info init iptables irc irssi iwconfig iwlist java join kbdrate kdm killall kteatime ktupnptest lame last lastlog ldd less lftp ln loadkeys losetup lp lpadmin lpr ls lsattr lshw lsof lspci lsusb lynx mail make man mawk md5sum mencoder mesg metacity minicom mkdir mkfifo mkfs.bfs mkfs.ext4 mkfs.vfat mkfs.xfs mkisofs mkreiserfs mkswap mkzftree modprobe more mount mount.nfs mpg123 mplayer mv named nano nautilus nc net netstat nfsstat nice nl nm nm-connection-editor nmap ntfs-3g.probe ntfscp ntfsinfo ntfsls ntfsresize ntpd ntpdate ntpq ntptime ntptrace od okteta okular openoffice.org padsp passwd paste pdfedit pdfmanipulate pdftotext perl pg pico pidof ping play pppd pr print ps python qmake readlink recite rename renice reset resize resize2fs rev rgrep rm rmdir rmmod route rpcinfo rpm rsync ruby scp screen script sed service setterm sg sh shar sleep sort sox speak sq sqlite3 ssh startx stella stop strace strings stty su swapoff swapon sync tac tail tar tc tcpdump telnet tiff2pdf time time top totem touch tpconfig tr tracepath traceroute traceroute6 transcode tree truncate tty tune2fs umount uname uniq unrar unzip update-grub updatedb uptime users uudecode vi vim vimdiff vncserver w wall wc wget whereis which who whoami whois wine wpa_cli wpa_passphrase wpa_supplicant write x264 xargs xfs_bmap xfs_db xfs_fsr xfs_info xfs_ncheck xinput xset xterm xxd yes zcat zgrep zip zless.